“We are dedicated to providing the best in entertainment to the Akron area this season at Canal Park," said Jim Pfander, the Aeros' executive vice president. "Our exciting new promotional events will keep fans of all ages entertained at the ballpark in 2011. We are looking forward to the great events and giveaways we have planned this season."
Opening Night – Thursday, April 7, 7:05 p.m.
· Postgame Fireworks Celebration courtesy of Wing Warehouse
The Aeros will celebrate the first game of the 2011 season with a Fireworks Celebration following the 7:05 p.m. contest against the Binghamton Mets.
· Magnet Schedule Giveaway (First 5,000 fans) presented by Albert Guarnieri & Co.
The first 5,000 fans through the turnstiles will receive a 2011 Aeros Magnet Schedule.
· Fridge Giveaway
The Aeros will have a fridge positioned in the concourse that fans will have the chance to sign up for and win. It’s a perfect way to display the 2011 magnet schedule that fans will receive. The lucky winner will be announced following the last pitch between the Aeros and Mets.
· Thirsty Thursday ($1 Draft Beers (12 oz.) and $1 Soft Drinks)
Expanded Fireworks Nights
· 14 fireworks nights including every Friday night home game
The Aeros have 14 scheduled Fireworks Shows in 2011, including the Opening Night Fireworks Celebration presented by the Wing Warehouse. The Aeros will feature spectacular fireworks shows following each Friday night home game in 2011.
In addition to these Friday fireworks, the Aeros will also treat fans to a special “First Independence Day Fireworks Show of the Summer” on Tuesday, June 28 and a “Star Wars Fireworks” Show on Saturday, August 27.
The Aeros will finish the season with a bang on Thursday, September 1 with Fan Appreciation Night Fireworks presented by Zayo Enterprises.
The Aeros' 2011 Fireworks Schedule
· Thursday, April 7, 7:05 p.m. – Opening Night Fireworks Celebration presented by Wing Warehouse
· Friday, April 8, 7:05 p.m. – Arctic Blast Fireworks
· Friday, May 6, 7:05 p.m. – Cajun Toga Party Fireworks presented by Pizza Hut
· Friday, May 27, 7:05 p.m. – Memorial Day Firework Spectacular presented by K12
· Friday, June 3, 7:05 p.m. – Super Hero Fireworks presented by Zayo Enterprises
· Friday, June 17 , 7:05 p.m. – Summer Celebration Fireworks presented by Wing Warehouse
· Friday, June 24, 7:05 p.m. – Radiator Springs or Bust Fireworks
· Tuesday, June 28, 7:05 p.m. – First Independence Day Fireworks of the Summer presented by KeyBank
· Friday, July 8, 7:05 p.m. – Wizards & Witches Fireworks presented by Time Warner Cable
· Friday, July 29, 7:05 p.m. – Halloween Fireworks presented by Pizza Hut
· Friday, August 5, 7:05 p.m. – Golfers’ Paradise Fireworks presented by KeyBank
· Friday, August 26, 7:05 p.m. – Candy Land Fireworks presented by Kid’s Cancer Survivor’s Celebration
· Saturday, August 27, 7:05 p.m. – Star Wars Fireworks
· Thursday, September 1, 7:05 p.m. – Fan Appreciation Night Fireworks presented by Zayo Enterprises
Three Throwback Aeros Bobble Head Nights
Honoring Akron Aeros/Canton-Akron Indians
In 2011, the Aeros will pay homage to three of their most iconic players: Manny Ramirez, Charles Nagy and Jim Thome. Before making his name in the big leagues, each was a member of the Akron Aeros/Canton-Akron Indians. The first 1,000 fans through the turnstiles at Canal Park on the selected dates will receive an Aeros Throwback Bobble Head wearing a Canton-Akron Indians uniform.
· Saturday, June 4, 7:05 p.m.
Manny Ramirez Throwback Bobble Head Night (First 1,000 fans)
· Saturday, June 25, 7:05 p.m.
Charles Nagy Throwback Bobble Head Night (First 1,000 fans)
· Saturday, July 9, 7:05 p.m.
Jim Thome Throwback Bobble Head Night presented by the Circulatory Center (First 1,000 fans)
The Aeros will have two additional Bobble Head Nights honoring mainstays at Canal Park. On Saturday, June 18, the Aeros will honor Canal Park’s own, Batman, with a Batman Bobble Belly Giveaway to the first 1,500 fans in attendance. On Sunday, July 31, the first 2,000 youngsters in attendance will receive a Bobble Head of the Aeros mascot, Orbit courtesy of FirstMerit.
· Monday: Charity Begins at Home
Each Monday, the Aeros will team up with a local non-profit organization to raise funds and awareness for their cause.
· Tuesday: Two For Tuesday (Buy One Ticket, Get One Free with a Kraft Singles coupon)
Fans can purchase one regularly priced ticket and receive a second ticket for free when they bring a Kraft Singles coupon to the Canal Park Box Office.
· Thursday: Thirsty Thursday ($1 Draft Beers (12 oz.) and $1 Soft Drinks)
· Friday: Post-game Fireworks
· Saturday: Celebrity Saturdays
Headlining the list of celebrities visiting Canal Park in 2011 are General Hospital’s Dr. Patrick Drake (Jason Thompson), presented by the Circulatory Center, and Sergeant Slaughter, who will appear on Military Appreciation Night at Canal Park. Here is the complete list of the celebrities and the dates of their appearances at Canal Park:
o Saturday, May 28, 7:05 p.m. – Sergeant Slaughter
o Saturday, June 4, 7:05 p.m. – Jerry “The King” Lawler
o Saturday, June 18, 7:05 p.m. – George “The Animal” Steele
o Saturday, July 9, 7:05 p.m. – General Hospital’s Dr. Patrick Drake (Jason Thompson) presented by the Circulatory Center
o Saturday, August 6, 7:05 p.m. – “Hack Saw” Jim Duggan
· Sunday: Family FUNdays
At every Sunday home game, members of Orbit’s Future Stars Kids Club can enter Canal Park at 11:30 a.m. Two Aeros players will be at the “Metro Parks, Serving Summit County” Autograph Table for a pre-game autograph session.
Kids Club members and all kids 12 and under will also be treated to a special giveaway at each Aeros Sunday home game. All youngsters will have the chance to emulate their favorite pro baseball players with a pregame catch on the field and, those 12 and under, will have the chance to run the bases following the game.
Carnival games, face painters and balloon artists will also be a part of the fun at Canal Park on Sundays as they will be featured throughout the concourse during the game. Here are the Sunday Family FUNdays and the special giveaways on those dates:
o Sunday, April 10, 1:05 p.m. – Draw String Back Pack courtesy of FirstMerit.
o Sunday, May 29, 1:05 p.m. – Curve Balls courtesy of BPI Information Systems.
o Sunday, June 5, 1:05 p.m. – Pillow Case courtesy of FirsMerit.
o Sunday, June 26, 1:05 p.m. – Aeros Trade Away Card Set courtesy of FirstMerit.
o Sunday, July 10, 1:05 p.m. – Glow-In-The-Dark Switch Plate courtesy of FirstMerit.
o Sunday, July 31, 1:05 p.m. – Orbit Bobble Head courtesy of FirstMerit.
o Sunday, August 7, 1:05 p.m. – Clothes Hamper courtesy of FirstMerit.
o Sunday, August 28, 1:05 p.m. – Tin Lunch Boxes courtesy of FirstMerit.
Family FUNday giveaways are for the first 2,000 kids (12 & under) through the turnstiles at Canal Park on Sundays.
Other Notable Promotional Events
· Thursday, April 21, 7:05 p.m.
and Wednesday, July 27, 7:05 p.m.
Look! My Dog is GREEN! $1,000 Giveaway
The Aeros are giving away $1,000 in cash. If you purchase a hot dog on these two nights, you automatically have a chance to win.
· Wednesday, May 25, 7:05 p.m.
Crock Pot Junkie Cook Off
Bring your best crock pot concoction, plug in and fans will vote on the winner.
· Tuesday, June 14, 7:05 p.m.
Car Survivor Kickoff
The Aeros will kick off their Car Survivor Challenge. It’s a grueling survivor contest with five randomly-selected contestants living in a car, with the one contestant lasting the longest bringing home the title of “Car Survivor” and winning the car.
· Monday, July 11, 7:05 p.m.
Diamond Dig presented by Towpath Credit Union
Following the game versus the Erie Seawolves, all ladies (18 & over) in attendance will have the opportunity to come down on the field and dig for diamonds.
· Tuesday, July 26, 7:05 p.m.
Salute to Yankees Facial Hair Policy
Ever since the late George Steinbrenner took over as New York Yankees owner in 1973, it has been well documented that mustaches are the only form of facial hair Yankee players are allowed to have. The Aeros are giving fans the chance to bring their best facial hair (beards and all) to Canal Park, when Akron takes on the Yankees' affiliate Trenton Thunder, for a chance to win anti-Yankees prizes.
· Thursday, August 18, 7:05 p.m.
Following the game versus the Harrisburg Senators, Little Kato will take on a challenger of his choice in this main event midget wrestling bout.
“The 2011 season will keep fans on their toes. We’ll have a new and different promotion, theme, or gimmick each night that will keep fans excited and coming back to Canal Park,” said Calvin Funkhouser, the Aeros' manager of promotions.